Friday, February 1, 2008

Irene's Crazy Quilt

This is a picture of my Grandma, Irene. She passed away on Thursday 1/31/08
She was a loving, giving, smart, funny, beautiful lady who lived along life (91).
I am so thankful I was able to know her.
I'll see her again, so my tears are for my family and I, having to
be here without her. She is in a better place.


This is a crazy quilt she gave me a few years ago. She said she bought it for $50-
from a lady at her church in the 1960's. My grandma could not remember who
it was she had purchased it from, but said the lady made this for herself then
needed the money so she sold it to my G, who was taken with the design and the
embroidery. She had always wanted to do something with it, but never did, so
it sat in a box under her bed.

It is 70 x 70.
I want to repair the pieces in disrepair and hang it somewhere, but it is so dark.
It is too fragile to use. My home has very limited wall space as it is tiny, and the
architecture in my home does not lend itself to hanging large works of art. humph.

Here you can see where the 23" square blocks are sewn together.
The back of the embroidery is so neat. This lady was excellent with a needle.


I love this quilt. Maybe I will have a place to hang it someday.
Until then, I'll enjoy taking it out from time to time to remember
the day she realized realized I was serious about quilting and gave it to me.


Love, Moorea

4 comments:

DoriAnn said...

Oh, you sweet thing! How about hanging it in your hallway? It would keep your little ones busy for at least an hour looking at all the different patterns and zig zags!

DoriAnn

DoriAnn said...

By the way, your Grandma Irene was beautiful and you look just like her! I can't believe how closely you resemble this photo!!

DoriAnn

Anonymous said...

((( warm hug )))

Such bittersweet news about your grandmother. You're in my thoughts and prayers, sweetie.

The quilt is lovely - what a beautiful remembrance of her.

And oh goodness, you look like her!!!

Moorea said...

Thank you for the sweet thoughts gals. (sniff)