Saturday, February 28, 2009

Baby Quilt


After frantic searching,I found my cutting board hiding waaaaaaay
up high on a book shelf. I started cutting these strip about 6pm
Friday night. I was up until 2:20 am sewing, but I finished the
quilt enough to give it at the baby shower today. It only needs
the binding on one side to be tacked down, but that is it!
Anjeleeca loved it. She is expecting baby number two, and I
know how nice it is to have new things for subsequent babies!


It turned out so sweet. I had the number fabric left over from the
quilt my mom and I did for my Cousin Susan's baby shower. It was
$9- a yard! But my mom wanted something particular, and when you
want it just the way you want it, you pay for it. She let me keep
the scraps (thanks mom!), and I had just enough to do this. It is
so soft. I really like doing a pieced binding, especially with all
the colors of the quilt. I used up the left over strips from the
nine patches.This is the first quilt that I have done that was
square, I think I trimmed and eighth of an inch off of one side.
I feel like a full fledged quilter now. I really took my time with
this quilt, making sure all the fabric was cut perfectly and when I
sewed. I went slowly, ripping seams or adjusting sections where
the points did not meet. I was patient. Quilting is teaching me
to slow down. That is such a gift. because I have been so impatient
with my sewing and I have never had a quilt square up like that.
(Except when my mom and I are sewing together. She is an amazing
seamstress.)Dimensions: 30" by 40"
p.s. I sat in the back at church on Sunday and tacked the rest of
the binding down so she could take it home!


I have not sewn for months because of the Geography class I am
teaching, and I can't believe how much I wanted to sew this
weekend,(even though I did not really have the time,
but my friend is worth it!) and I wanted to make something
and complete it. I had to stay up to get it done. Giving a
box of diapers is nice, but giving a quilt is MUCH more fun.

Have a nice weekend!

Happy quilting,
Moorea

3 comments:

corry said...

Nine patch..my favorite! This baby quilt turned out great, what a lovely gift!

Moorea said...

An e-mail I received from a friend:

Dear Moorea,
I went on to your blog and was inspired by your quick gift for the baby shower…..I haven’t sewn in SOOOOOOO LOOOOOOONNNNNGGGGGG I was having withdrawals!! Anyway, I have a small lap quilt all done in flannel bricks and my oldest daughter has been wanting one like it for a few years. I have been collecting the fat quarters for a couple years and decided I probably had enough in the garage to do it…..After seeing your quilt, I quickly ironed and cut out all the fat quarters and laid them out on the floor. I chain pieced them and then did them into rows. The next day I scrounged some cotton batting but didn’t have a big enough piece so I put two long pieces together and seamed them to make one. Then I found a queen-sized flannel sheet that was cream colored with pink roses. I had purchased it from a thrift store. I have 3-4 queen sized flannel sheets in the garage too!! I did all the machine quilting in a serpentine chain
stitch I have on my machine and it looks so pretty – very simple and quick. Then I found another ¾ yard of beige flannel with flowers on it and used it for the binding.

I finished it an hour ago and feel so inspired I want to finish 2 more that are in the early stages…..Thanks for the post on your blog that got me moving.

I had spent a week in Georgia and had been knitting quite a bit but I was aching to make a quilt and there you have it!!!!

Moorea said...

Thanks Jan! I am so glad you got it done- she is going to LOVE it! I have the urge to quilt again this week- but I am going to use it as a reward for getting my work done!
Let me know when you get #2 done- you inspire ME!
Love, Moorea